Exposing the Impact of Our Choices on Nonhuman Animals

For my blog post today, I’m sharing a recent post I wrote for Care2.com, an online community for people passionate about creating a better world. Here’s an excerpt from Exposing the Impact of Our Choices on Nonhuman Animals:

"In 1985, I was fascinated by what I’d read about Sarah, a chimpanzee who could use a symbolic language to communicate, so I contacted Dr. David Premack, the principal researcher working with Sarah and other chimps at the University of Pennsylvania primate research lab, to volunteer. I’ll never forget meeting Sarah.

... Sarah lived alone in her cage. The four other chimps at the lab were only three years old, and I was told that Sarah might harm them, so this social animal was confined permanently in solitude. She had long since refused to continue with her language training, so her life consisted largely of watching soap operas on a TV on the other side of her cage or sitting in her small outdoor enclosure.

... For years I felt haunted by Sarah. Was she to live out her days in isolation and misery? All I could do was tell her story and, as a humane educator, teach, so that we might make different societal choices in relationship to others, whether people or nonhuman animals. Fifteen years later, I learned that Sarah had found a final home at Chimp Haven, a chimpanzee sanctuary that houses chimps formerly used in medical research, entertainment and as pets. My eyes filled with tears of relief at this good news."

Read the complete post.


For a humane world,

Zoe Weil, President, Institute for Humane Education
Author of Most Good, Least Harm, Above All, Be Kind, and The Power and Promise of Humane Education
My TEDx talk: “The World Becomes What You Teach"

Image courtesy of Joao Maximo via Creative Commons.

Like our blog? Please share it with others, comment, and/or subscribe to the RSS feed.

You have read this article animal experimentation / animal welfare / chimpanzees / compassion / critical thinking / cruelty / humane education / Most Good Least Harm / Peter Singer / project nim / suffering with the title Exposing the Impact of Our Choices on Nonhuman Animals. You can bookmark this page URL http://actuosa-participatio.blogspot.com/2011/09/exposing-impact-of-our-choices-on.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Exposing the Impact of Our Choices on Nonhuman Animals"

Post a Comment