Basking

It’s been quite a week at the Institute for Humane Education. We held our annual Summer Institute, Educating for a Better World, with a full house, and in the next several blog posts I’ll be sharing some of the fantastic humane education activities the students presented. The Summer Institute was followed immediately by our first reunion for graduates of our master’s degree and certificate program, which was followed that same night by our 15th anniversary celebration. I’ll be sharing the video tribute from that event here, too.

On July 4, I took the day off and hiked a favorite mountain with my husband. I brought my small but high-powered magnifying glass and took my time noticing the tiny berry-like fruiting bodies of moss, the green, purple and orange stripes (seriously!) of a deer fly’s eye that my husband caught as he was about to be bitten, a dozen kinds of lichen (swelled with moisture on a humid day) all on a single rock, and much more. I watched low clouds I could almost touch zoom and whirlpool as I lay down at the peak and stared upward as the sun burned them off and turned the day bright, and I reveled in the pleasure I take in seeing our dogs so happy.

Stay tuned.

Zoe Weil, President, Institute for Humane Education
Author of Most Good, Least Harm, Above All, Be Kind, and The Power and Promise of Humane Education
My TEDx talk: “The World Becomes What You Teach"

Like our blog? Please share it with others, comment, and/or subscribe to the RSS feed.


You have read this article gratitude / humane education / natural world / nature / observation / professional development / reverence / Teaching with the title Basking. You can bookmark this page URL http://actuosa-participatio.blogspot.com/2011/07/basking.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Basking"

Post a Comment